Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Annie Wu is pretty darned good, isn't she?

I just saw these preview pages from Annie Wu's issue (or issues) of Marvel's Hawkeye over at DC Women Kicking Ass and felt I had to share them with you.  Why?  Well, if a blog about DC women kicking ass can post an item about a Marvel book, then I feel I can on this Cassandra Cain blog as well, especially since I first became aware of Wu's work through the story arc she did with writer Scott Peterson (of Cass Cain Batgirl fame) on Batman Beyond featuring a new Batgirl.

Wu did an outstanding job on Batman Beyond, but I'm liking these Hawkeye pages even more.  I think I'm biased towards real-world locations as opposed to sci-fi settings.  It takes a lot of imagination to envision what a city will look like in a future time, but creating a believable present requires some other illustrative chops and we have our own personal space to judge it by.  Real cars as opposed to flying wedges and whatnot.  Asphalt streets, concrete sidewalks.  Contemporary clothes and recognizable architecture.  Still imaginative, but lots of details to get right!  I'd say she nailed it.

While I've dabbled in some Hawkeye strictly for its excellent art, I haven't really been able to find my "in" with that book.  I know a lot of people are really high on Hawkeye, so I'll give it another shot just to look at what Annie Wu is doing with it on a full issue.

And might I suggest to DC when they bow to the inevitable and re-boot Cassandra Cain, they do so with Annie Wu handling the art duties?

No comments:

Post a Comment