Sunday, November 10, 2013

The future of this blog...

Approximately six people a year read this blog.  I don't think the problem is lack of interest in Cassandra Cain.  It's been a while since she appeared in a comic but you can still find people talking about here online here and there and most of the time their comments are positive.  And with Stephanie Brown coming back to comics, it's only a matter of time before Cass does as well.  That will generate an upswelling in Cass conversation.

No, the problem is this blog is pretty boring and I don't update it regularly enough.  I could add interest by generating controversy (easiest way) or by writing better posts (most difficult way), or I could just quit altogether (I doubt anyone would care). 

The problem with generating controversy is it cheapens the dialogue.  We comic book fans are already touchy enough without someone deliberately trying to irritate everyone just to get some blog traffic.  Occasionally we will accidentally do this, but that's okay.  That's bound to happen if you have an opinion on anything.  I'm just not the kind of person who particularly enjoys making people angry, especially not on purpose. 

And while I'm very lax in updating here (and in generating detailed, interesting posts), I'm not really much for simply quitting.  Plus, I'm too much of a Cass fan simply to take off the Bat-suit, hand it to my friend and then slink away in the rain wearing only my underwear.

Anyway, the point is, I've been writing these crazy Cass match-ups, which I get a big kick out of doing (even if no one particularly enjoys reading them).  I think adding some original artwork would improve them.  Or, almost as fun, make them even stupider.  I don't have much time for drawing these days (I work 12 hours a day, six days a week and there's this whole being married thing that also takes up a lot of time I used to spend reading, thinking and writing about Cass) so I don't know how often I'll be able to produce posts with original illustrations.

I don't seem to have the ability to knock out "cartoony" stuff that looks anything other than rushed or slapdash.  That's fine occasionally, but when I see some of those people who can produce art that looks deceptively simple posting away on semi-regular schedules, it makes me feel artistically inadequate!  So that's largely out unless I'm just in a mood.  And drawing something more detailed, which I am actually fairly competent at doing, takes a massive investment of time.  Which I have little of (see above).

There may be some reviews of things I think appropriate, too, but if I'm not reading a whole lot, I'm not going to be reviewing that much, either.

Anyway, that's the scoop.  If there's a big Cass announcement, though, all bets are off!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog, though I am currently really busy which is why I haven't been able to post often.

    ReplyDelete